International Conference on Cancer Nursing (ICCN) 2016 delegates are invited to participate in educational preconference workshops held on September 4, 2016. There is no additional cost for ICCN 2016 delegates, but pre-registration is required.
You will have the option to select a preconference workshop when you register for ICCN 2016 online. Registration is subject to availability, on a first-come-first-served basis. Limited seats are available, so register early!
Preconference Workshop 1 – End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium
Hosted by End of Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC)
Date: Sunday September 4, 2016
Time: 9:00am - 3:30pm
Pam Malloy, RN, MN, FPCN
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
Washington, DC , USA
Judith Paice, PhD, RN, FAAN
Northwestern University; Feinberg School of Medicine
Chicago, IL, USA
Cheryl Ann Thaxton, RN, CPNP, FNP-BC, CHPPN
Medical City Dallas/Medical City Children's Hospital
Dallas, TX, USA
The End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) project is a national education initiative to improve palliative care through education. During the 16 years of this project, over 20,700 nurses and other healthcare professionals, representing all 50 states, plus 88 international countries have received ELNEC training. During this 1-day course, you will receive education on palliative care related to pain and symptom management, communication, loss/grief/bereavement, and final hours of life. You will also receive a flash drive housing the entire 2016 ELNEC-Core curriculum so you can take this education back to your institution and educate others. For more information about ELNEC, go to www.aacn.nche.edu/ELNEC
- There are major deficiencies in current interdisciplinary systems of care for patients and families at the end of life.
- Social, cultural, and economic forces influence care provided at the end of life.
- Oncology nurses have a history of caring for patients and families experiencing end-of-life/palliative care issues.
- Nurses should not work in isolation but rather as partners in collaboration with physicians and members of other disciplines.
- Caring for the dying means not only “doing for” but also “being with.”
- Palliative nursing care combines caring, communication, knowledge, and skill.
At the completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the role of the oncology nurse in providing quality palliative care for patients across the lifespan.
- Identify the need for collaboration with interdisciplinary team members while implementing the nursing role in palliative care.
- Describe the philosophy and principles of hospice and palliative care that can be integrated across settings to affect quality care at the end of life.
- Discuss aspects of assessing physiological, psychological, spiritual, and social domains of quality of life for patients and families facing a life-threatening illness or event.
Preconference Workshop 2 – Global Issues of Survivorship
Hosted by ONS, CANO-ACIO and ISNCC
Date: Sunday September 4, 2016
Time: 9:00am - 12:00pm
Susan M. Schneider, PhD, RN, AOCN®, FAAN, President, Oncology Nursing Society
Tracy Truant, RN, MSN, PhD(c), President CANO-ACIO
Professor Mary Wells
Professor Kazuko Onishi
Global Perspectives on Cancer Survivorship, hosted by the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), the Canadian Association of Nurses in Oncology (CANO-ACIO) and the International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care (ISNCC), will address major topics associated with nursing management of cancer survivorship including: 1) the history, influences and primary definitions of cancer survivorship; 2) development, use and controversies of cancer survivorship care plans; and 3) managing cancer survivorship across the globe.
Outline and Confirmed Speakers:
I. Introduction and Overview of Cancer Survivorship – Susan M. Schneider, PhD, RN, AOCN®, FAAN, President, Oncology Nursing Society
II. Current data and controversies for survivorship care plans, Tracy Truant, RN, MSN, PhD(c), President CANO-ACIO
III. Models of Survivorship Care
a. United Kingdom – Professor Mary Wells
b. Japan – Professor Kazuko Onishi
c. United States – being confirmed
d. Australia – being confirmed
IV. Case study discussion – Susan M. Schneider, PhD, RN, AOCN®, FAAN
Learning Outcomes: At the end of this session, the participant should be able to:
- Describe the history and current status, including global demographics of cancer survivorship.
- Identify the components, current us and controversies related to cancer survivorship care plans.
- Discuss how cancer survivorship care differs across the globe.
- Identify strategies to manage survivorship care through case study discussions.
Preconference Workshop 3 – Publishing Workshop
Hosted by the European Journal of Oncology Nursing
Date: Sunday September 4, 2016
Time: 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Prof. Alex Molassiotis, RN, PhD
Chair Professor of Nursing & Head of School
School of Nursing,
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Editor-in-Chief, European Journal of Oncology Nursing
This session will focus on taking participants through the publication process, from identifying the reasons for writing to having an article published, and highlight some major mistakes people often do, particularly those less experienced researchers, in their attempt to disseminate their piece of work. Some ‘tips’ for preparing papers for submission for publication, based on editorial experiences of many years, will also be shared in order to help participants increase their publication success.
By the end of this session you should be able to:
- Identify your reason for writing and select who you want to write for
- Understand how to approach the writing process
- Define and plan your article
- Have an overview of the publishing process and ‘tips’ for a successful publication
|Preconference Workshop – The nine body constitution in Chinese medicine and acupressure for symptom management for patients with cancer
Date: Sunday September 4, 2016 Time: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Date: Sunday September 4, 2016 Time: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Dr. Wai-ling Lin, Chinese Medicine Practitioner
View the Preliminary Program here